Sunday, February 10, 2013

Union Market

Welcome to my new blog, and the tongue and cheek reference to magic and witchcraft.  What I do in my kitchen sometimes seems magical and other times well, let's just say definitely not magical. Regardless, I love the thrill of putting the ingredients in the pot and discovering the results.  For those of you who have followed posts from Mikostinko, this is blog will take over from where Mikostinko left off, but with a slightly more appropriate or at least understandable name.  It will continue the quaint little homegrown blog feel, meaning no fancy food stying pics, just whatever I can get at the moment with my Nikon or iPhone, sometimes glitzed up with Instagram.  Fancy, I know, but that's how I roll.



Buffalo and Bergen's Steamer
As for postings, in the past I have hesitated to post many cooking creations mostly due to the fact that I followed someone else's recipe.  No more, if it's good I am posting it, with proper credit to the original author of course.  Although, I can take no blame if they plagiarized someone else, something I see a lot of on the great, wild Internet.  
My first post is not a about a recipe, but a foodie trip to a fairly new market in the DC Metro area called Union Market. The market is located at 1309 5th Street, NE and unlike many places in the city has ample parking! There are a number of very interesting artisans doing business in the market and I hope to see more added.
Red Apron Butchery
Our first stop was Buffalo and Bergen, I had heard about their steamers on the radio and this was the catalyst for the whole trip.  I have to say I was definitely not disappointed.  What is a steamer, you ask?  It starts with some ice cream and chocolate syrup in a cup, to which steaming hot chocolate is poured over top.  The garnish is a small stem of flaming mini marshmallows.  So, so good. 


After filling up on knishes and steamers at Buffalo and Bergen, we sought out different vendors to put together a little platter of artisan goodies for our dinner later in the evening.  Our first stop was Red Apron Butchery, where we selected a variety of cured meats for our platter.  The second stop was Oh! Pickles,  a cool spot to find all kinds of pickles.  We then picked up some fresh made apple turnovers from DC Empanadas. Since we were sticking to a particular theme for the dinner platter, we'll have to try the actual empinadas another time.


Righteous Cheese
One of my favorite stops was Righteous Cheese, a fabulous cheese artisan who helped me find just the fight right cheeses for our platter. This is a great little spot where you can get a seat at the counter and order a flight of cheese with wine parings.  In fact, this market has several bars operating in conjunction with the food offerings, so it is definitly popular with younger, no kids set. 

If you haven't had a chance to stop by, or like me up until last week hadn't even heard of it, I highly recommend taking a trip to this fabulous market.  It is my new favorite food destination!


No comments:

Post a Comment