Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Blueberry Apple Crisps

My daughter has been off on a tangent lately about how we don't eat "regular food." This doesn't bother me because I know we eat well, meaning tasty foods that are usually on the healthier side of the spectrum. Don't get me wrong, we eat things that aren't necessarily healthy sometimes, especially because I think a wide variety of foods is important. But more and more the focus is on more fruits and veggies to balance out the less than healthy foods. Today's recipe is example of that balance, sure there is a good bit of sugar in here, but we also have fresh blueberries and oatmeal.

Yesterday she was sitting at the kitchen table making long work of her easy homework when she realized I was making something.  Of course she wanted to know what it was and I told her it was dessert for later. This got her attention and she jumped up to come over and check it out.  Even though she loves fruit, she saw the blueberries and apples in the bowl and decided it wasn't going to be her idea of dessert, and I got "why can't we have regular dessert?"

Well, first of all this isn't even something strange, it's just a fruit crisp. Second of all, this is one tasty dish. It's a modification of a recipe I pinned from about.com. For the most part I follow the recipe, but I do have a few modifications. First of all the original recipe is for blueberry crisp. I didn't have enough blueberries, but I did have a few granny smith apples, so I made up the difference with apple cubes roughly the same size as the blueberries. Second, although I have nothing against butter, I only used 2 tablespoons and then added in 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, because really, the more coconut oil I can get into our diet the better. Third, I like the fun and exactness of individual portions, and therefore put mine in 6 ramekins. Oh yeah, and I cut back on the sugar just a bit.

How did it turn out?  The dessert was hit. Gigi had to confess it might have been the best dessert ever. Yup, Score!


Blueberry Apple Crisp

Serving Size : 6

1 pint fresh blueberries - washed, drained well
2 medium granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and cubed
3/8 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 flour
3/4 cup oatmeal
pinch kosher salt
2 tablespoons butter - softened
2 tablespoons coconut oil - softened


Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Combine the blueberries, apples, granulated sugar, corn starch, and lemon juice in a large bowl and mix to combine evenly. Divide fruit into lightly oiled individual ramekins.

In the same bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and stir together until the mix is evenly blended. Sprinkle the mixture over the fruit and bake for 20- 30 minutes.


Nutritional information form Mastercook:

Per Serving: 269 Calories; 9g Fat (30.0% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 46g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 10mg Cholesterol; 47mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1 Fruit; 2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

No comments:

Post a Comment