Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Tavuk Izgara (Yogurt Marinated Chicken)

I've got chicken pieces, what can I do with them?  It's a constant issue.  I love this recipe because it has different flavors than all of my other chicken recipes.  Plus, when I mix up the marinade, the wafting scent is incredible.  The end result is crispy, super-flavor infused chicken.

Don't let the Turkish title fool you, as with many of my other marinate and roast recipes, this is super easy with very little hands on time. I use thighs but you could use whatever pieces you wish.

I found the original recipe on The Whole Foods site and now that I have gone back to find it, it is no longer there. Well it is, but with a new name and a few changes. Ha! it's gone from Turkish to Indian on their site.  Good thing I printed it! As usual, I have made a few small changes to the original recipe. The other thing is the original recipe only had grilling instructions and I can't see the point of only doing this on the grill, so I line a broiler pan with foil and set a rack on top and then roast it in my oven.

Tavuk Izgara (Yogurt Marinated Chicken)
Adapted from Whole Foods Market Indian Spiced Yogurt-Marinated Chicken

6 chicken thighs or other pieces

Marinade:
8-10 ounces plain Greek yogurt
1 small onion, grated
4 cloves garlic, pressed
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Mix the ingredients for the marinade.  Place chicken pieces in a large zip lock bag and pour in the marinade.  Make sure all the pieces are well covered. Marinate in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.

Prepare a broiler pan and rack and preheat over to 450 degrees.  Place the chicken pieces, skin side up on the rack and discard the remaining marinade. Roast for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 400 degrees and roast for 25 more minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment