Monday, March 4, 2013

Shrimp and White Beans over Israeli Couscous



Sometimes I wonder why I am doing a food blog, I mean really, there are about ten billion of them out there.  Maybe I aspire to write a cookbook one day, but I also think cookbooks may be coming obsolete.  I like to look through a good cookbook, but mostly these days if I want to make something I rarely hit the cookbooks first, I am more likely to go to the internet and compare a number of recipes.  So why am writing this? I am realizing as it is starting to come together that maybe I am just trying a new method of organizing my recipes. 

I have the recipe card file, I have a folder of old favorites, I have a few three ring notebooks that are forever getting out of order.  When I need to find a recipe, I need to remember what form it is in and then search for it.  That's what happened with today's recipe.  I knew I wanted to make it and had to go through a number of places to find it.  I knew I could look it up on the internet, but I also knew that I had notations on my paper copy.

I guess that's the other thing, I make notations.  This happens as I cook and sometimes the notes are a bit illegible.  Sometimes I throw something together knowing I'll remember it, but of course a few weeks later I have the gist of it but not all nuances.  This process of cooking, making notes, taking pictures and then documenting it online so I can just pull my tablet out in the kitchen and look it up is really working for me, and if my friends discover a few new recipes in the process, well that's just a bonus.
Today's recipe is adapted from a recipe posted on Real Simple, called Lemony Shrimp with White Beans and Couscous.  It sounded great, so I made it.  I thought it was bland, made a few changes and now it is a favorite.  I kept the essence of the dish, but I upped the flavor by adding in veggie broth, veggies, and more garlic and onions.  I also upped the texture by using Israeli couscous; I love this stuff!  Wonderful little balls of pasta.  The other thing that I did which I know most of you won't, is I used dry beans instead of canned.  I made them the day before so they were ready and waiting in the refrigerator.  This recipe is quick and easy and if you want to use canned beans, it will be wonderful, the dry beans just up the texture and flavor one more step.

Shrimp and White Beans over Israeli Couscous

1 can vegetable broth plus enough water to equal 2 cups
1 1/2 cups Israeli couscous
1 small zucchini, chopped (asparagus is good also)
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 1/2 cups white beans or 1 15.5-ounce can white beans beans, rinsed
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons butter

Bring the vegetable broth and water to a boil. Stir in the couscous and zucchini. Reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook a few minutes to soften a bit. Add the shrimp and garlic and cook, stirring, until the shrimp begin to turn pink. Stir in the beans, parsley, lemon juice, butter, salt, and pepper. Cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve over the couscous and veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment