Sunday, March 17, 2013

Slow Cooker Chicken

This one's for the working moms out there, well really everyone, but mostly the working moms. Sometimes with busy schedules it seems really hard to get a good healthy meal on the table and the result is sometimes something less than healthy such as take out, delivery or fast food. For this reason I turn to my slow cooker. I love my slow cooker, I use it several times a month.  One of my favorite things to cook in it is a whole chicken.  I have no problem roasting chicken in the oven, but I have to say I love the fall off the bone results with the slow cooker.  Plus when I put the chicken in the slow cooker in the morning I know, come pre-dinner time, my job is going to be really easy.

This chicken couldn't be easier. Put it in the slow cooker on top of a few old forks to make a makeshift rack, which keeps the chicken from sitting in too much liquid, and then brush some barbecue sauce over the top. I know this isn't the what you have come to expect from my blog, so let me assure you that I have many other slow cooker recipes that are a bit more complex, but this one is tasty and FAST and that's what crazy-busy moms need. Plus let's face it, even those of us who like to spend a lot of time dabbling in the kitchen have days when we just want it done so we can focus on something else, like blogging and such.

The key to rounding out this super easy, super fast meal is to keep healthy sides in your freezer.  My family loves oven baked sweet potato fries, so I keep a bag from Costco in my freezer at all times. Twenty-five minutes before dinner time, throw them in the oven sprinkled with a little extra seasonings such as seasoned salt, garlic salt or powder, kosher salt and pepper with a quick spray of Pam. Then 10 minutes before dinner time put some frozen broccoli florets (or fresh, it only takes a few minutes to prep) on the stove to steam.  Not only do you have a super simple meal, it's also nice and healthy.  Much better than delivery, fast food or even Stouffers, with only about 10 minutes total hands on time.  Get your hubby to do the dishes.

Slow Cooker BBQ'd Chicken

1 roasting chicken
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup barbecue sauce

Put the chicken in the slow cooker, add water and brush sauce on the chicken.  Set on low for 8-10 hours or high for 5 hours.

1 comment: