Thursday, March 21, 2013

Mushroom Stroganoff

I love beef stroganoff.  So when I started cutting back on meat based dishes and adding in more vegetarian meals, a mushroom stroganoff recipe in the Forks Over Knives cookbook caught my attention. What I love about beef stroganoff is the mushrooms, the sour cream sauce and the noodles. The beef isn't really important to me.  I thought it was important for the flavor of the sauce, but as it turns out that's not true.

This recipe is not the Forks Over Knives version, I tried it once but it didn't have the right elements for me.  Also, I was not a fan of the homemade tofu sour cream. I use either real sour cream (since I am not worried about practicing veganism or Tofutti's Non-Hydrogenated Better Than Sour Cream (which is quite good.)  After trying the FOV version, I decided to revamp my beef stroganoff recipe into a mushroom stroganoff.  The result is a wonderful stroganoff that has forced beef stroganoff off the menu.  Okay, I will still make the beef version, but only if I need to use up leftover beef from another meal. 

Note: the lead picture for this post depicts linguini instead of the fettucini called for in this recipe.  I prefer the fettucini, but it's all I had in the pantry at the time.  Use whatever pasta you like, but if you want a vegan version make sure the pasta does not contain eggs.       

Mushroom Stroganoff
6 Servings

1/2  vidalia onion -- chopped
2 tablespoons  olive oil
3 garlic cloves -- pressed
2 Portobello mushrooms -- sliced
16 ounces white or baby bella mushrooms -- sliced
8 ounces shiitake mushrooms -- sliced
12 ounces vegetable broth
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce - vegan or regular
1/2 cup white wine
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
12 ounces tofu sour cream
16 oz fettucine
1 tablespoon fresh parsley -- minced

Cook fettucine in salted water according to the instructions on the package.
Meanwhile, over medium heat saute onions in oil until soft, add garlic and cook another minute.
Add the mushrooms and saute several minutes, adding a little vegetable broth during process to keep mushrooms moist.
Add the worchershire sauce, wine and any remaining broth. Simmer 5 minutes.
Stir in tofu sour cream,salt and pepper.
Add drained pasta to stroganoff mixture, toss and sprinkle with parsley.


Nutritional Analysis from Mastercook:
Per Serving: 562 Calories; 8g Fat (12.7% calories from fat); 19g Protein; 106g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol; 309mg Sodium.  

No comments:

Post a Comment