Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Slow Cooked Ribs in the Oven

I love good ribs.  They need to be flavorful, tender and moist.  I used to think  making good ribs at home wasn't possible and that the best way to do ribs was on the grill.  Maybe that's because I never had much luck with grilling ribs, although now I know that "grilling" ribs isn't really what you do. I also thought you needed a smoker.  Now, of course this is still probably the best way to go, but not an investment I am planning on making anytime soon. The truth of the matter is that you can make excellent ribs right in your own oven.

My mom makes great ribs, full proof every time.  I thought she must be doing something very complicated and have an innate talent for cooking.  Well actually she does have an innate talent for cooking, but the part about the ribs being complicated couldn't be further from the truth.  Here's what you need to know, good ribs need time to cook at their own pace, you can't rush them.  She cooks them at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 45 minutes, covered for the first 90 minutes.  Pretty simple.  She doesn't even use a homemade barbecue sauce.

I have taken her method and added on to it, nothing fancy mind you, just a nice rub to get things started.  I still use barbecue sauce near the end, but I like the extra oomph you get from layering the flavors. One of these days, I'll concoct a nice barbecue sauce recipe so I can stop buying the bottled one with preservatives and other unnecessary additives.

If want to try these on the grill this summer, go right ahead, just use indirect heat and remember "low and slow."

Slow Cooked Ribs in the Oven

1 rack pork back ribs

Dry Rub:
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (less or more depending on your love for heat)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder

barbecue sauce

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Mix dry rub ingredients and sprinkle it onto both sides of the ribs rubbing into the meat.  The more rub you put on the more intense the flavor, so adjust the amount to your personal taste. Place the ribs on a rack inside of a shallow roaster or broiler pan.   Cover with foil.  Roast for 45 minutes, then remove foil and brush with barbecue sauce. Cook for another 45-60 minutes, occasionally brushing with sauce until ribs are tender. Let set for about 10 minutes then slice and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment