Sunday, February 17, 2013

Chicken Ga Kho over Sauteed Napa Cabbage and Rice

A friend of mine posted this recipe from The Ravenous Couple on facebook a while back.  I made it several times and then forgot about it.  Last fall we got a head of napa cabbage in our CSA box and I needed to figure out what to make with it.  The chicken ga kho recipe popped into my head, which is funny since the orginal recipe does not contain cabbage.

I tried to think of why I stopped making it.  I think it was the cooking process, specifically caramelizing to the end on the stove was too much frying for me.  So I decided to make a few modifications to the process.  I thought about the way I cook steak, get the good sear then finish it in the oven.  I thought I would adapt that process for this chicken. Once I caramelized the chicken on both sides, I would put it in the oven to finish cooking.  I also decided I would leave the skin on.  While the original recipe is super good, I really like the modifications I made, and think it helps keep the chicken moist and juicy.

Let's get back to the cabbage, because that's the whole reason I decided to revisit this recipe in the first place.  The original recipe is served over rice, so in my mind it was in desperate need of a veggie.  I am sure I served some sort of veggie on the side when I made it before, but my new plan was to make it a complete creation. Slicing and stir frying the cabbage is a quick process that can be done while the chicken is finishing in the oven. So now if I plan to make the chicken, I also pick up a head of napa cabbage, they are permanently wedded in my mind

While it may seem that there are a few steps and three pans, this dish comes together very easily and will look and taste like it took much more effort than it actually does.

Caramelized Chicken Ga Kho over Sauteed Napa Cabbage and Rice
Adapted from The Ravenous Couple's Caramelized Chicken Ga Kho

Servings: 6

Marinade
2 tbs  fish sauce
1 tb  brown sugar

6 chicken thighs
 
Sauce
3/4 cup  brown sugar
1/3 cup  fish sauce
1/3 cup  rice vinegar
1/3 cup  water
4 cloves  garlic -- pressed
2 tbs  ginger -- grated
2 shallots -- minced
2 jalapeno peppers, sliced (remove seeds for mild, keep the seeds for hotter)
2 green onions, sliced
pepper

2 tbs  olive oil

Sauteed Cabbage
1 tablespoon  olive oil
2 cloves  garlic -- pressed
1/2 tablespoon  ginger -- grated
1 head  napa cabbage -- thinly sliced
1 tablespoon  soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon  sesame oil

1 cup jasmine rice

Combine 2 tbs of fish sauce and 1 tbs brown sugar.  Put chicken in a plastic zip lock bag and add the marinade.  Marinate in the refrigerator for at least a half hour.

Combine remaining brown sugar, 1/3 cup water, rice vinegar, and fish sauce and mix until the sugar dissolves. Add the ginger, shallots, and garlic.

Put the rice and 2 cups water in a rice cooker and set to cook.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Heat a large oven safe pan on high with olive oil and add the chicken skin side down.

Allow to brown without touching them for a minute or so and then pour in about 1/4 of the sauce. Do not move the chicken.

Let the sauce begin to thicken and the chicken will brown after a few minutes.

Once it is caramelized, turn the pieces of chicken over and pour in the rest of the sauce. Add the chilies and green onions and pepper to taste. Transfer to the oven to finish for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a wok and add the garlic and ginger.  Cook for about 1 minute.

Then add the napa cabbage and stir fry until wilted.

Dress with soy sauce and sesame oil.

Serve the cabbage on the rice and then place chicken thighs on top.  Drizzle the sauce over the top.


Per Serving: 599 Calories; 25g Fat (36.7% calories from fat); 19g Protein; 76g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 82mg Cholesterol; 264mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat; 3 Other Carbohydrates.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment