Thursday, February 21, 2013

Quick Flat Bread Pizzas and Zucchini Carpaccio Salad

I love to cook, but sometimes I don't feel like it.  Sometimes the afternoon/evening schedule is so crammed that meal preparation needs to be quick.  Working moms would say that is every night for them.  When planning the weekly menu, I try to work in at least one or two easy meals.  Sometimes that means leftovers, which of course is one the easiest ways to go, but there are other simple meals that I keep up my sleeve. One is flatbread pizza.  I use store bought flatbreads and pizza sauce to simplify the process. My current favorite flatbread is Flatout Bread.  Making pizza dough is a fairly simple process, but this is even better for pizza in minutes.

Another thing I love about this meal, besides it being so simple of course, is that I can customize each person's pizza, easily making each member of my family happy.  Gigi loves cheese and turkey pepperoni, Paul wants cheese, basic veggies and pepperoni, I love lots of veggies, whatever yummy gourmet cheeses I can find in the refrigerator and jalapeno slices!

The Flatout crusts need about 5 minutes in the oven prior to adding your sauce and toppings.  After that go to town.  Simple pizzas will need another 7 minutes or so to bake and pizzas with tons of veggies need12-15 minutes.

To round out the meal, I like to add a salad.  I saw the inspiration for zucchini carpaccio salad on Pinterest.  The link took me to a page called Proud Italian Cook, she gives the basic ingredients, which I mostly follow but I do it my own way of course.  What I love about this salad are the thin slices of zucchini, and the slivers of fresh parmesan reggiano!

Zucchini Carpaccio Salad

baby greens
zucchini sliced on mandolin
pecans
parmesan reggiano cheese

1 T. lemon juice
2 T. white wine vinegar
5 T olive oil
salt
pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment