Saturday, February 23, 2013

Erik's Slow Roasted Chicken

Is it funny to name a recipe after the person who told you about it?  I mean it's not even his creation, but since I had never cooked chicken like this and my friend Erik is the one who gave me the low down on it, in my mind it is filed away as Erik's Slow Roasted Chicken.

I am constantly seeking out new recipes, but some of the best ones just find their way to you.  This is one of those recipes.  It came up in casual dinner conversation and now that I have made it, I know it will be a go to recipe for years to come. Since this was a casual conversation, I do not have exact measurements, and really it's not so much about the exact seasonings and amounts, it's about the method.

What I love about this recipe is the the low and slow process. It is almost like crock pot cooking in your oven yet without the excess moisture, so maybe it is even better, especially for chicken.  Like crock pot chicken this is fall apart, tender and juicy chicken, but unlike crock pot chicken, this chicken has a nice crispy exterior.  By the way, Erik recommends using chicken thighs instead of breasts, because breasts could dry out.  Very set it and forget it.  Give it try, I know you'll like it.

Erik's Slow Roasted Chicken
6 Servings

6 Chicken thighs
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
garlic salt
salt
pepper
celery salt
Olive oil

Place chicken thighs, onions and garlic in a casserole dish. Sprinkle with desired amount of garlic salt, salt, pepper and celery salt.  Drizzle some olive oil over the chicken.  Roast, uncovered at 250 degrees for 2 1/2 hours.

Nutritional Information (from MasterCook):

Per Serving: 227 Calories; 17g Fat (66.8% calories from fat); 17g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 79mg Cholesterol; 401mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.



No comments:

Post a Comment