Monday, January 19, 2015

Roasted Beet Hummus


It's the end of football season, the only part of the season that I actually get into, except maybe the very start of the season.  Okay yes, I am a fair weather fan, so I hope by the time we get to playoffs there is at least a team or two on my short list of faves still in the running.

You see for me it's not so much about the football, the football just serves as the event.  For me, it's about the food.  I try to keep it in line, just a few choice items, so they need to be good.  I certainly will make some killer nachos and wings, but I also feel I need something in the offering that is, dare I say it, on the healthy side.  What!? I know.  Anyway, this cool looking hummus served with veggies and baked chips fills that need perfectly.  

Now go grab a beer and start cheering!        

Roasted Beet Hummus

1 medium  beet
1 head  garlic
15 ounces  garbanzo beans, canned -- rinsed and drained and peeled
2 tablespoons  tahini
2 tablespoons  fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup  olive oil
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400. Cut the end off the head of garlic, exposing the cloves, wrap in foil. Wrap the beat in foil, drizzled with a little olive oil, salt and about 1/2 teaspoon of water. Roast both for about 45 minutes.

Let the beet cool, then rub the skin off and roughly chop.  Put the beet in a food processor or blender, and pulse a few times. Open the garlic packet and squeeze it straight into the food processor.  Throw away the skins.

Add the peeled garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste and some of the olive oil and pulse.  Drizzle in the rest of the olive oil and add more if needed for consistency. Taste and season to your preference.

Serve with carrots sticks, cucumber slices and pita chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment