Sunday, February 2, 2014

Udon Noodle Soup with Poached Eggs and Spinach



This is a post from my old blog.  I've been craving this super-easy, but totally delish dish for a several days.  I'm putting it on the menu this week and thought I should share it with you.

I have a thing for udon noodles.  Okay, really all noodles, but udon noodles are so thick and yummy looking I find them hard to resist.  This is why I end up buying the instant udon soup bowls from Costco.  Granted these are not the healthiest items in the world, but with a bit of doctoring you can seriously up the protein and veggie count.  The sodium is high, so just don't have it everyday, or do what I do, drink up every last bit of broth.

I came back from yoga today looking for a fast lunch.  I saw the udon in the pantry and that was it, I had to have it. There's nothing like a good bowl of udon with some poached eggs on top.  Okay crappy carbs and good protein, what could I add?  I looked in the refrigerator and saw the bag of fresh spinach. Bingo! The addition of spinach would allow this meal to pass my "needs to be at least sort of healthy" requirement.

Since first posting this I have found that Costco doesn't always carry these noodle bowls.  You can find them at World Market.  I also go to HMart and there are tons of different brands of fresh udon or udon like noodle packets with seasoning in the refrigerator aisle.  If all else fails, use some ramen, it is not as hearty as udon, but it will be just fine.

Udon Noodle Soup with Poached Eggs and Spinach

Ingredients per serving:

Instant udon soup bowl
2 eggs
handful of spinach leaves
1 teaspoon or so hoisin sauce
sriracha sauce
water
white vinegar

Put on a small saucepan of water with a splash of vinegar and heat to almost boiling.  Meanwhile bring more water to boil for the soup.  Place the spinach leaves in a bowl.

When the soup water is ready, start the soup prep according to the directions. At the same time, reduce the heat to medium low on the pot with the water and vinegar.  Drop the eggs into the pot and poach for 2-3 minutes.  When the soup is ready pour it over the spinach in the bowl, stir in the hoisin sauce, drop the eggs on top and add sriracha to taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment