Monday, July 1, 2013

Bitter Melon with Egg


Today I am happy to introduce my first guest blogger, Erica Wissolik, a long time friend of mine who shares the love of cooking. She's cooking up bitter melon, something I have seen in the market, but have yet to try.  After reading this, it's going on my shopping list!

I am positive that every cook loves to discover new ingredients.  It’s one thing to discover new ways to cook familiar ingredients – but the lovely surprise that comes from being introduced to a whole new ingredient that you end up craving, is better than chocolate.

Last year, a new friend/ colleague from Thailand visited DC.  She had been on the road for awhile and was missing her kitchen.  So I begged her to come over to my place and cook.  We hit the Dupont Farmer’s market in the morning, and drove out to H&A Supermarket in Langley Park, MD in the afternoon.  OMG.  Food exists that I never imagined!  Tiny eggplants, spices, etc… and this thing…the bitter melon.  It’s also called: African Cucumber,Balsam Pear, Balsam-Apple,  Bitter Apple, and Bitter Cucumber. On the interesting side, I just googled it and webmd.com says this about the melon:

“Bitter melon is used for various stomach and intestinal disorders including gastrointestinal (GI) upset, ulcers, colitis, constipation, and intestinal worms. It is also used for diabetes, kidney stones, fever, a skin condition called psoriasis, and liver disease; to start menstruation; and as supportive treatment for people with HIV/AIDS. Bitter melon contains a chemical that acts like insulin to help reduce blood sugar levels.”

Some people love it so much they created the National Bitter Melon Council. http://bittermelon.org/  These guys say that, “Humans, unlike other mammals, are the only creatures to have developed a palate (or taste) for bitterness. Bitterness defines our humanity!”

Human attributes aside, the bitter taste is not for everyone and you definitely need a palate that likes bitter as well, as if not more than, sweet. I will eat a whole lemon over a chocolate chip cookie! So when my Thai friend whipped up this egg and bitter melon yumminess, I was hooked.  While I was in Bangkok this past March, I begged again for her to cook for me and make specifically, this dish.  It’s easy and I am told it can be altered to add ground meats, chiles, and other yummy items as you wish.

So here you go…

Bitter Melon with Egg
All measurements are to taste.  If you like salt use more!

3 medium sized bitter melons – about 7-8 inches long, 3-4 inches around.

Cut the melons in half long ways and clean out the seeds with a spoon. This is much easier than it sounds.  Rinse the melons and slice thinly.

In a large pan, preferably one with high sides, put 3-5 tablespoons of oil. I used safflower that I had mixed with spicy harissa.  If you’re not a spicy soul, leave out the chiles and use a simple oil – not olive because it can be too flavorful.

Heat the oil on low, adding 2 large, minced garlic cloves.

Brown the garlic a bit, about 5 min. *if* you’re really on low – about 2-3 on your stove knob.

Toss in the sliced bitter melon with about ½ tsp salt.

Turn heat up a bit, going to maybe 5 or 6 on your knob. Cook the bitter melon in the garlic oil for about 10-12 minutes, stirring and tossing every 2 min. or so.  The melon still start to get a bit translucent in parts and soften up.

Crack open 3 small or 2 large eggs and dump them on top of the melon.

Immediately toss and stir fry, mixing well.  Cook for another few minutes until the eggs are well cooked and become just small bits among the melon.

Serve with rice as a side dish to an awesome Thai curry, or eat on its own.  You’ll be happy either way.

Erica is a former Pittsburgher and go-go dancer, currently living and working in DC as a lobbyist for science and technology issues.  "I cook because I like to know where my food comes from, how it was raised and grown, and because I enjoy inventing my own recipes." 

No comments:

Post a Comment