Friday, April 5, 2013

Linguine with Swiss Chard Pesto and Ricotta


Ever since I stumbled across The Kitchn's Winter Greens Pesto recipe, I have been in love. With winter greens that is. I can't enough of this stuff. I mean what is there not to like, wonderful healthy greens, walnuts, cheese, garlic and olive oil?  Put it over some pasta and I could live on it forever.  How it could it get any better?  Well, I just figured that out today.

First let me tell you about my other new favorite, ricotta cheese.  Not your grocery store variety but gourmet fresh ricotta, or even better homemade ricotta. I got turned on to homemade ricotta last week in Philadelphia.  There is a British Style pub there called The Dandelion.  If you are in Philly, go.  While you are there order the homemade ricotta with sour bread, you wont be sorry.  I know sometime soon I will have to make my own.  Until then I found something not quite as good, but way better than the regular grocery store variety. It's fresh Piacci Ricotta and I don't think I can ever go back to the old stuff.

As lunch time came around today I was torn.  I had both the pesto and ricotta in my refrigerator begging to be used.  There was only one thing to do, cook up some linguine and combine them.  There you go, two new favorites mixed together and served over an old favorite.

Linguine with Swiss Chard Pesto and Ricotta
adapted from The Kitchn's Winter Greens Pesto 

1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1 bunch Swiss chard, trimmed, rinsed and chopped
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
Juice from one lemon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
¾ - 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
1 lb linguini

Toast the walnuts on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven for 6 minutes.

Quickly blanch the Swiss chard in boiling water removing as soon as it begins to go limp. Immediately plunge it into cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain the Swiss chard and dry it on towels or in a salad spinner. Then place it in a food processor.

Add the nuts, Parmesan, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper and pulse until smooth. Add more olive oil if needed.

Cook the linguine and drain it.  Mix in the desired amount of pesto and then the ricotta cheese.  Serve immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment