Friday, April 12, 2013

Creamy Cauliflower Alfredo Pasta


I feel like am starting to blossom as a vegetarian cook. Yes, we still eat meat, but less and less.  I am learning how to think outside of my box and to use plant based foods in new ways.  Now it's not that I am overflowing with these ideas on my own, I get sparks from the ideas of others and then build on them.  Today's dish is one of those take a good idea and build on it recipes.

There is a great site called FatFree Vegan Kitchen.  I'm not really into the whole fat free veganism thing, but she's got some great ideas that I can build on.  The other day a post came out for Fettuccine No-Fredo with Broccoli and Sautéed Mushrooms, and it looked quite tasty.  Now using cauliflower to make a lighter, healthier creamy sauce is not a new idea, but it is something I have never tried. Knowing that I like a little fat in my cream sauce, I knew I wanted to modify it a bit. After viewing this recipe, I surfed around a bit to see what others were doing.  Many non-vegans were adding in some heavy cream.  That did not appeal to me, plus I was already starting the first steps of making dinner.  What did I have on hand?  Plain Greek yogurt, that was the ticket.

My version came out nice and creamy, with lots of veggies to help even out the ratio of veggies to pasta.  What did my picky eater think?  She loved it, except for the mushrooms, but that was to be expected.  This will definitely go into the rotation.

Creamy Cauliflower Alfredo Pasta


1 large head cauliflower, cut into pieces 
4 cloves garlic, minced 
2 cups water 
1/2 teaspoon oregano 
1/2 white pepper 

1lb fettuccine

3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
salt
pepper

2 tablespoons olive oil 
1/8 cup red onion, diced
8 oz mushroom, sliced
small bunch asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 small broccoli crowns cut into florets 
kosher salt
black pepper 
2 teaspoons fresh parsley roughly chopped

Put the cauliflower and the next 4 ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover.  Cook for about 15 minutes or until tender.  Pour contents of the pot into a large food processor.  If you don't have a food processor, use a blender. Don't blend yet, just let it cool a bit.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package. Reserve a bit of the water in case you need it for the sauce.

In a wok or other large pan, heat the olive oil and saute the onions until soft.  Add the mushrooms and toss to coat with the oil.  Cook for about 3-4 minutes, stirring.  Add the asparagus and broccoli and stir fry another 3-4 minutes.  Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.

Now that the cauliflower has cooled a bit, blend it until smooth.  Add a bit of the cauliflower puree into the yogurt and mix to temper it before adding it to the food processor.  Blend in the yogurt and salt and pepper to taste.

Put the pasta into a large bowl and toss with the cauliflower sauce.  If it is too thick, you can add a bit of the pasta water.  Once mixed, gently toss in the sauteed veggies and garnish with parsley.




No comments:

Post a Comment