Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Fettuccini with Shrimp and Fresh Tomatoes



Ah, it's nice to be back!  It's been vacation time for our household, and I have been out so much I haven't had time to have fun in the kitchen.  Last week we were at the beach for 9 days.  Yes I cooked there, but I hate cooking in the vacation rental kitchens, it's absolutely no fun. There are weird pots and none of my handy kitchen gadgets. On vacation I revert to a method cooking that I rarely employ at home.  I try to use as few ingredients as possible, do very little chopping and creating, and even rely on processed foods.  Yes, that includes jar pasta sauce, oh how far we can sink for convenience. I did bring a few things like a zip lock bag with my homemade oven fried chicken coating and some fresh corn from my CSA box. That was a good easy meal; I'll need to think about more home pre-prep, next time.

Anyway, we are back and just in time because it's Tomato season!  Nothing says summer like a fresh tomato and this week's CSA box had tons.  There were gorgeous large red slicing tomatoes, cute multicolored cherry tomatoes, and a huge batch of yellow plum tomatoes.  For this recipe you could any of them, but I decided on a mix of the red and yellow tomatoes. There were also onions, basil and zucchini in the box so I added them to the party.

This recipe, in some ways is a take off of Pappardelle with Corn and Tomatoes, I like how the wine and veggie broth are added to make the sauce. I do this often, I find a method or mix that works then I change it around to fit different ingredients, no need to recreate the wheel every time I cook something new.

 Fettuccini with Shrimp and Fresh Tomatoes

2 teaspoons olive oil
5 tablespoons butter
1 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
12 ounces Fettuccini
1 large zucchini, quartered and sliced thin
¼ Vidalia onion, sliced thin
4-5 vine ripe tomatoes, cut into cubes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons basil, chopped
kosher salt
black pepper

In large wok or skillet melt 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 teaspoon olive oil.  Add the shrimp and sauté until the shrimp turn pink.  Remove from pan and set aside.

Cook the pasta as the package directs. Meanwhile

Over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and the rest of the olive oil in the same pan. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until the onion begins to soften.  Add the zucchini and cook 3-4 minutes longer.  Add the tomatoes, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 pepper, cook for 3-4 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook for another minute.  Add the wine and reduce for 5 minutes.

Add the shrimp and the broth to the skillet and allow it to simmer for 1 minute.  Add the pasta, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the remaining butter to the skillet.  Stir and add more broth if needed to help combine the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with the basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment